What causes loose stools with blood clots after an hemorrhoidectomy?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I had a hemmeroidectomy 10 months ago. Everything seemed to heal fine. I have IBS-D which really acts up if I drink alcohol or eat the wrong foods, then I have very loose stools 3-5 times a day. Now I have noticed bleeding when I strain and blood clots in the toilet. Would just changing my diet and introducing more fiber help me? I'm fine if I don't drink alcohol or eat the wrong foods.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take the foods and beverages that you know suit your bowels.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Female/56 - Hemorrhoidectomy 10 months ago - healing fine - now noticed bleeding on straining - blood clots in toilet - have IBS-D which acts up on alcohol and wrong foods - wants to know whether changing diet and introducing more fibers would help ...

As per the history you have provided, I would advise you the following:
Strict abstinence form alcohol is the key.
As it to make a list of the foods and beverages that instigate or enhance the loose frequent stools and never to consume them.
Also make a list of the foods and beverages that suit your intestines the best. Make it a point to consume these alone whaterver it comes to.
Hence changing the diet is not the issue, consuming the correct ones must be followed.
As for introducing more fibers: If it helps, well and good. Go for slow increase in amounts and find the point at which a particular quantity of extra fibers is helping you to have the normal bowel movements.
As for the present complaints of bleeding per rectum:
It is very necessary to find the cause and this is possible by clinical evaluation, examination by per-rectal digital examination, ano-proctoscopy and colonoscopy.
This alone can give us the cause to be treated as per the findings.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.