What causes loose stools, frequent bowel movements and fatigue in an elderly person?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have recently developed loose stools and I am having frequent bowel movements
I am 77 years old and have been very active but I am now having easy fatigue
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Foe how long has this been going on and how many loose stools daily?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these loose stools and the frequent bowel movements you have reported. This is often related to a change in the diet especially when there is an increased in vegetable and fiber consumption. In any case, drinking much water is the best way to compensate for any fluids increases. On another notes, when was the last time you had a colonoscopy? If dietary changes fail to address the loose and frequent stools, I will recommend that you get thorough testing including stool exams and some imaging studies.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.