What causes locked jaw?
What do you advise me to do? I suggested to the
doctor that I would prefer an xray of that area.
I also must add that after walking around with undiagonised Diabetes for about 7 years. As a result I have damaged nerves in both hands and feet,
Teeth lost from coming loose and root damage
Go for physiotherapy & jaw opening exercises.
Thanks for writing in.
There are various reasons for locked jaw:-
- trauma to the joint
- some oral infection
- surgical procedure like impaction.
X- Ray will not be of much use in such case. You need to go for physiotherapy where muscle relaxation exercises are taught. Alternate cold or warm water compresses can help achieve pain relief. Take very soft diet so that the muscles are not used. Proper rest for faster recovery.
You may take analagesic in case of severe pain.
Consult oral & maxillofacial surgeon if problem still persists.
Hope I answered your query
Dr. Neha Sumra
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain in the left jaw
- What is the cause and treatment for jaw pain
- Wisdom teeth causing jaw to lock
- Sugary foods causes lock jaw
- Statins causing lock jaw
- What causes acute pain in the jaw
- What causes lumbar facet to lock
- Sinus causing lock jaw
- What causes sudden jaw cramp
- Have lock jaw problem what is causing this
- Getting infection in the teeth. Taking flagyl. Is tooth abscess serious...
- Got cavity filled with silver. Noticed increase in gaps and food getting...
- Enamel wearing off teeth. Prescribed liquid paste to apply. Took...
- Teeth got stuck in throat. What should I do?
- Have bad breath problem. Is there any permanent treatment?
- Teeth turning yellowish. Could it be due to excessive consumption of...
- Felt growth between cheek and wisdom teeth. What is the reason for this?
- Teeth are damaged after an accident. Should I have root canal treatment?
- Having pain and swelling on teeth. Prescribed metrogel, zerodol-p and...
- Teeth sensitive to lemon, cold and hot meals. Using sensodyn toothpaste....