What causes liver cirrhosis?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 11 Oct 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: What causes cirrhosisoftheliver
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cirrhosis is caused by many things

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question
Cirrhosis is a condition in which the liver is damaged and begins to fail. The most common causes in the US are viral hepatitis and alcoholic hepatitis.
The two most common causes of viral hepatitis that can lead to cirrhosis are hepatitis B and C.
In alcoholic hepatitis, the liver is stimulated by the alcohol and if this is on going for years cirrhosis can develop.
Other fairly common causes are biliary obstruction resulting in liver damage, fatty liver disease and toxicity from drugs or medications.
Rare causes include cystic fibrosis, Wilson's disease, and cryptogenic (meaning we do not know the cause, it just happens).
I hope this is helpful to you,
Dr. Robinson