What causes liquid discharge from naval after a laproscopy for gall bladder?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hello doctor,
My father aged 61 years was diagnosed with acute calculous cholecystitis.Went through the surgery to remove his gall bladder through laproscopy.Post surgery after 8 days they have removed the sutures from navel ,However after removal of sutures ,watery liquid is getting discharged from navel , though we are frequently dressing it the liquid discharge is still persisting .Kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Glad to hear that your father got discharged.

That discharge can be due to a little infection there, or a rare possibility is that of the suture used inside to close the rectus sheath is either left too long or that has got infected.

He need a course of antibiotic for it. You need to consult your doctor for the prescription.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj