question-icon

What causes lipectomy?

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015
Question: I had a radical lipectomy ie abdominoplasty two weeks ago. I am thin and did not have any fat, I had this procedure for the muscle repair. A week after the operation I saw the dr. and took off the compressions garment and my stomach was completely flat. Now another week later the bottom of my stomach is swollen and protrudes a little. Is this normal swelling and will it go away and when?
Answered by Dr. Prashant Sharma (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
need not to worry much.

Detailed Answer:
dear madam,
i can understand your worry.

the details of your surgery or a photograph of the swelling will help me to answer in a better way.

lipectomy causes a potential space between skin and the muscular layer beneath. we put compression garments to obliterate this space. usually this occurs in a week, but sometimes may take longer.

meanwhile fluid (seroma) may accumulate beneath the skin causing swelling. the swelling disappears after aspiration of fluid.

we usually arrive at a diagnosis after thorough clinical examination, or a sonography of abdomen will help.

so you need not to worry much, have an appointment with your surgeon, he will solve the problem.

feel free to ask further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prashant Sharma

Oncologist, Surgical