What causes lightheadedness,frequent urination and appetite loss?

Question
I 39 years old have have been experiencing lightheadedness, very frequent urination (strong stream and volume each time), loss of appetite, and some distorted vision a bit. I exercise 5 days a week interval treadmill runs and when I excersice I seem to feel fine. Any help or ideas? Have high cholestrol, normal bp, and my heart rate seems to be normal as I've been tracking it the last week or so with monitor.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes&UTI to be excluded...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Having a very frequent urination might be a sign of:
- diabetes
- urinary tract infection (UTI) if you are experiencing pain or burning sensation while passing urine.

Feeling lightheadedness, loss of appetite and some distorted vision are due to possible loss of body fluids as you are having frequent urination with strong stream and volume.

I advise to :
- measure your blood sugar levels: fasting, 2 hours after eating and HbA1C level
- run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound to exclude UTI
- measure the levels of electrolytes in your blood
- take a whole blood test to exclude anemia

Depending on the tests results, specific treatment will be prescribed. Meanwhile, I advise to:
- increase water intake
- take oral rehydration salts or energizers (e.g. Gatorate) to replace the lost electrolytes with frequent urination

Hope it helped! Let me know if anything unclear!
Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What causes lightheadedness,frequent urination and appetite loss? 10 minutes later
No pain when I urinate. Urine is most always clear when I do go. Had a fasting blood test two weeks ago and glucose level was 95 mg/dl.

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly provide the requested data...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Although urine is clear when you do go, there might be still infection there. Urine analysis will determine whether infection is present and other urinary tract problems.

Your fasting blood glucose was fine, so, diabetes is excluded.

At this point, other possible causes to frequent urination include:
- drinks containing caffeine (coffee, energetic drinks, etc.)
- consuming foods or drinks high in sugar content
- being stressed/anxious
- drinking alcohol
- consuming water or other fluids more than usual

If none of them, then, might be due to over-reactive bladder. But, first need to know if you're having frequent urination :
- during day only?
- at night?
- or day and night?
- are you having other problems?
- are you taking any medication recently?
- do you suffer of constipation too?

Thank you!
Dr.Albana