What causes lightheadedness, dizziness, headache, elevated heart rate and constipation?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, my wife, age 47, is experiencing symptoms that have me concerned. I took her to an Urgent care center, but they were unable to provide a diagnosis. The symptoms are as follows:

Blood pressure 146/101
Temp Normal
Light headed
Dizzy
Nausea
headache
elevated heart rate 105bpm
she was constipated but we relieved that via laxative
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These all symptoms can be due to constipation

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Health Care Magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you and your wife had to go through.

Based on the history you have shared, these all symptoms can be attributed to constipation only as it can cause headaches, nausea as well as increased pulse and blood pressures. Those readings that you had mentioned are just borderline and can be caused by minor stress or ailment in body as she had already been experiencing lately.

I would suggest to keep using the laxative and stool softeners like Syp Lactulose until symptoms aren't fully settled. If symptoms doesn't resolve once constipation doesn't resolve then a 12 lead EKG and blood work up like electrolytes and thyroid profile may be done.

But as of now only monitoring the symptoms for any worsening or improvement should be done. Hopefully she will be alright in few days.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee