• question-icon

What causes lightheadedness and dizziness?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm not feeling sick or anything, but last night I got a little dizzy/light headed...and again, this morning. What is it?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms could be related to low blood pressure or an inner ear disorder.

Have you measured your blood pressure?

Is the dizziness and lightheadedness triggered by standing up from sitting position? This would be indicative of orthostatic hypotension.

Is the dizziness triggered by head and neck movements? This would indicate a possible inner ear disorder or chronic degeneration of the cervical portion of the vertebral column (cervical spondylarthrosis).

Coming to this point, I recommend measuring your blood pressure in sitting position and then in standing up position.

If your blood pressure is low in sitting position, I would recommend having some rest and reducing anti-hypertensive therapy (if you are actually taking anti-hypertensive drugs for high blood pressure).

If your blood pressure drops more than 20 mm Hg in standing up position compared to sitting position, I would recommend performing a Head Up Tilt test to investigate for orthostatic hypotension.

Some other tests would be needed (complete blood count for anemia, blood electrolytes for electrolyte imbalance).

If your blood pressure values are within the normal ranges and you still have episodes of dizziness, I would recommend consulting with an ENT specialist for a careful physical exam and performing labyrinthine tests to investigate for an inner ear disorder.

Meanwhile, I would recommend taking plenty of water and increasing salt and caffeine intake.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist