What causes lightheadedness and dizziness?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 30yr old Female and over the last few days I have been having these episodes of feeling like I was going to pass out being light headed n dizzy but only when I'm sitting. what can be the cause of this?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I understand that you are feeling dizzy, however to help you in a better way I need a few more details.

1. Is the dizziness associated with ringing in the ear?
2. Did you suffer from a respiratory infection in the recent past?
3. Is it present even while lying down?
4. Does it get worse after you close your eyes?
5. Do you have any ear discharge?
6. Do you have any headaches? vomiting?
7. Please mention any medication you are taking right now

Please get back to me I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later
Not a ringing in the ears but kind of like a popping and pressure no respiratory infection no problem lying down or closing eyes no headaches or vomiting (no desire to eat though) no ear discharge. lisinipril , clonidine, oxycodone, methadone. been on these medications for a while now so I know they are not the reason for these issues.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postural vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply in detail

From the history you have given it looks like you are suffering from postural vertigo. It is common and most of the times it is due to infection of the middle ear. I recommend you to take Tab betahistidine three times a day for 7 days, if there is no improvement after 3 days you will have to meet an ENT specialist for local examination and a CT scan.
It usually takes about a week's time for it to settle down completely.
Here are my suggestions

1. Do not engage in strenuous activities. Avoid exercising until you are better
2. Avoid heights
3. Avoid driving and being around sharp instruments

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery