What causes lightheadedness and dizziness with high BP?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: For the last few days while I'm sitting only I get light headed feel dizzy. I do have hypertension 4 collapsed disc in the lumbar spine few back surgeries as. well as a partial hysterectomy. what could possibly be causing this to happen
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Two most common causes of light headedness can be
1. Cervical spondylosis
2. Uncontrolled high blood pressure
I would suggest you to get your blood pressure check and MRI of the cervical spine to confirm the diagnosis.
I have following suggestions to my patients with same complain. .
1. Use soft cervical coller. Avoid using high pillow.
2. Intermittent traction exercises.
3. Tablet stugeron if giddiness is severe.
I hope these measures will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 13 hours later
It only occurs while sitting and feels like my head an ears are getting very tight like squeezing off circulation
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be ear problem also

Detailed Answer:
You have not mentioned about ear before. As ear has important structure to make balance. If there is any infection or any inflammation in ear then it can also causes light headedness. So if you are having ear tightness then you will need ear examination also to check if this is not the cause of this.
I would suggest you to show it to ENT specialist.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju