• question-icon

What causes lightheadedness and agitation after taking Atenolol and Verapamil?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: i recently had a stroke. the doctor prescribed atenolol along with verapamil which i was already taking. I get very lightheaded and agitated when i take it. develop leg pains and back pains. have a sinking feeling as if i am going to pass out. the stroke left a very minimal damage to my right side and am working on physical therapy for strenghtening. could the medicine cause the problem?
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this could happen due to atenolol

Detailed Answer:
Yes this is probably related to atenolol. Atenolol decreases pulse rate and bp. Also, verapamil can does the same thing.
Firstly, you should monitor your bp and pulse rate two to three times a day. For that, you should buy electronic bp apparatus. If either happened to low, you need to decrease the atenolol dose and may be verapamil dose depending upon the readings. Also, you should discuss with your regarding change to atenolol to Metoprolol if absolutely necessary. Atenolol is older medicine and is out of favor now a days.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist