What causes light trembling in hands, weakness in arms and legs?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: ive been feeling weak in arms and legs. light trembling in my hands and fingers and well as my my lips when I hold my mouth open. my muscles feel tired and heavy at times. I went to my gp today and she did an examination and said everything checked out and did blood work. blood work came back fine although she didn't check vitamin levels. she checked my eyes and said everything looked fine as well. im concered about parkinsons. im 31 year old male. if I lay my hands down flat at rest there is no twitching. also I have not lost any strength. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably not Parkinson's.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

First, there is need for some clarifications about your symptoms.

-Since how long you have noticed them?

-Are there factors or movements that worsen or improve your symptoms?

-Any other accompanying health condition? (anxiety, substance abuse, kidney and liver diseases)

-Do you use a lot of caffeine, or any drugs?

Muscles trembling or tremor in a part of people is an exaggeration of the normal tremor found in almost all of people, related to situations, anxiety, substances etc.

Muscles trembling can be also symptom of neurodegenative diseases, cerebellar (little brain) disfunction, lack of vitamins (thiamine) and magnesium.

I don't think yours is the case of Parkinson's disease, regarding to your age, and no other accompanying Pakinson's symptoms such muscles rigidity, frozen face expression, small steps walking etc.

In my opinion, you should se a Neurologist to discuss your concerns and have a neurologic examination together with blood tests about vitamin levels ( B group vitamins).

Hope this helps. I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 10 minutes later
I do not drink alot of caffeine.
I have had severe anxiety for several years and been on Lexapro which helped enormously. I just recently started taking it again.
I noticed symptoms about 5 days ago.
For several years I've had alot of trouble sleeping at night. I feel like I need to always move my legs.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety related trembling more probably.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for the clarifications.

In this case, muscles trembling is most probably related to anxiety disorder and Lexapro use.

However, in order to exclude other less possible causes, I still think you should have a neurological evaluation.

Hope I helped you. Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical