• question-icon

What causes light spotting after a colposcopy?

Posted on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi i lost my birthcontrol pills in may. and had my peirod shortly after. Then i waited for 35 days before I got my period again. It was XXXXXXX 6th i had it. Then i had a colposcopy with biopsy done on XXXXXXX 22th and have bled pink/brown blood since. Then today on XXXXXXX 28th i have started to bleed some more. so now my question is could this be my period already or is it because of my colposcopy. They also took a sample from the endocervical canal. I had my test result yesterday. Both normal only some inflammation. If this is because of my bc pills should I expect it to be normal after some periods? I had a operation for endometriosis on april 5th
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to the colposcopy.

Detailed Answer:

When colposcopy is performed, it is normal to experience some amount of spotting and when a XXXXXXX is used, it leads to brownish spotting. It is also possible that you have an impending period and hence the increased bleeding today.

It is good that your results are mostly normal. Inflammation is not to be worried about much.

If you are currently on oral contraceptives, some amount of altered menstrual pattern in the form of prolonged cycles, irregular cycles, inter-menstrual spotting etc., are noticed in the earlier months until the body adjusts itself to the new hormone milieu.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 14 minutes later
I am not on any period i just stopped it so that is why i wondered if it is normal when you stop you one month bleed after 35 days and now already after 22 days

i mean i am not on ant birth control i stopped this
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can have disturbed menstruation after a procedure.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

It is possible for the menstrual cycle to be disturbed after any surgical procedure, an illness or any form of stress as the hormone balance gets disrupted. This, in addition to the fact that you have recently stopped using the oral contraceptives, may have given rise to the menstrual irregularity. The whole thing should get self-corrected in a couple of cycles. Abstinence should be followed for at least a week after the procedure. Else, it can also lead to enhanced bleeding; so is the situation while a tampon is used.

Please maintain a healthy weight, regular exercise and a healthy diet.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN