What causes light pink vaginal discharge?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Oct 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I am 55 and am having light pink vaginal discharge. I have been taking Aleve 4 times a day for a month per my podiatrist. should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please fix an appointment with your Gynecologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
I have read your notes. Considering your age I presume that you have attained menopause now. Light pink discharge could be blood mixed with vaginal discharge. Do you have itching? Is the discharge foul smelling?
This symptom is a bit of concern in this age group.

The causes of such discharge could be:

- inflammation of the thin lining of vagina (atrophic vaginitis)
- thinning of the lining of uterus ( endometrial atrophy)
- vaginal infection. From your notes it is clear that you do not have infection.
- polyp ( cervical or endometrial). Polyps are growths from the lining of uterus. These can cause cramps
- In about 10 % of women presenting with this symptom it could be due to precancerous or cancer conditions of uterus.

Therefore it is extremely important that you have internal examination , ultrasound of uterus and ovaries, Pap smear ( if you are due) and endometrial biopsy to find out the cause for this bloody discharge

So please fix an appointment with the Gynecologist. It is important that you fix an appointment with the Gynecologist at the earliest.

Remember that in 9 out of 10 women the cause is not serious. It is only in 1 in 10 women that the cause is serious.

I hope this helps. If you have further concerns, do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng