What causes light pink vaginal discharge with negative UPT?

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I had a tubaligation 5 years ago. Never been late ever, and my husband and I are never careful when we have sex. my period was 4 days late and I had no signs that it was going to come on. No before period discharge or anything. I had light cramping and spotting on Friday night. The discharge was pinkish discharge or brownish discharge. I did finally have very light bleeding bleeding on Saturday morning, and by Sunday it was back to the light pink discharge. I did not pass any clots this period and really did not even need a pad except for on Saturday. I have gotten negative urine pregnancy test, and then I went and had a blood test and it came back that I have less than 1 on the test. There was traces of hcg in blood but less than 1. My breast have been sore, I have been extremely tired, and had a bout of nausea. Could I have tested too early due to the embryo not being implanted? Im usually right on time with my period, heavy bleeding, and 5 to 6 days long. The light pink discharge started on Friday and was all done by Monday
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are not pregnant...explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

After tubal ligation for 5 years, the chances of failure now are minimal. And if the beta hcg based urine pregnancy test is negative that indicates...you are not pregnant. Also a serum beta hcg level of less than 1 is insignificant and labeled as negative.

as far as your bleeding pattern and amount of flow is concerned, the patterns and amount may change sometimes during periods of stress during the cycle which leads to hormonal imbalances and the menses which are actually progesterone withdrawal ,tend to be short and hypomenorrhoeic.

I would like to advise you to maintain a menstrual diary for next 3 months to understand if its stress related or an organic cause needs to be established.

There is no pregnancy so rest assured.

Dr.Sameer Kumar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist