What causes light menstrual bleeding?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: hi i m 26 yrs old girl. I got my period back in 15 days with light bleeding after my regular cycle.Is there anything to worry.My height is 5.5" and weight is 68
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
likely ovulation bleed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
The fact that you got light bleeding after 15 days of your LMP indicates a possible ovulation bleed which occurs at the time of ovulation, which is natural. This may be accompanied by mild abdominal cramps known as MITTELSCHMERTZ and often associated with nausea. The light bleeding in form of light darkish brown discharge can last for 2-3 days and then shall stop. This is a possibility if you are not sexually active and where pregnancy is not a concern.
If you have been sexually active then i would suggest you to get a serum beta hcg test to rule out pregnancy first. Once negative then this is an ovulation bleed mostly.
Please revert back with your sexual history if any.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 6 hours later
Hello doctor

Thanks for your reply
I dont have any sexual history and I am single.
My bleeding is in the form of light red color.
Few years back I was been reported with the problem of PCOD also.
I have done the test of thyroid few years back and that were also normal.
But then I maintained my weight and my periods were regular.
Is there anything to worry.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
In that case threes no need to worry at all, this is then an ovulation bleed which is normal to occur in some woman. Usually it is not seen but in cases of increased stress during the cycle be it emotional, physical , psychological can lead to such episodes. If the light bleeding lasts for more than 3 days then you would have to get evaluated for hormonal profile.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 days later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for your reply

Can you plz tell me the symptoms of thyroid
From last two month I have gained 2 kg of weight
I use to do some exercise not at regular basis.
But not losing my weight.
Can you plz tell me what should be my ideal weight.
My height is 5.5" and age is 26 yrs.
Am I suffering from thyroid problem
Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
answered

Detailed Answer:
hELLO,
iF YOUR CONCERN IS HYPOTHYROIDISM , then your TSH levels should be higher than 5, symptoms like decreased appetite, cold intolerance, sweating palms and feet, fatigue, listlessness, disinterest, decreased responsiveness in day to day life. All these forma s symptom complex but confirmation is only through labs.

At your height your ideal weight should be 55-58 kg. I would like to see the TSH report before making a comment on your thyroid status.