What causes light menstrual bleeding for a short period of time?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi,
I'm having problems with my periods. The cycle has shortened trough last few years now (every 25 days from what used to be 28 days). The flow used to be 5 to 7 days and mostly bright red. Now I'm lucky of it lasts for day or two. The rest is all brown blood and lasts for additional day or two. No major cramps only mild ones every once in a while on first day. GP requested a scan which showed bulky uterus, no fibroids, no cysts on ovaries, egg was maturing and was ready to go in next few days. I have no other known medical issues and don't take any medicine or contraception as we are hoping for a pregnancy. I had to terminate two pregnancies (no heartbeat detected). Are the changes in my period something I should be concerned about and should I take this further or just accept that my uterus is bulking up with age (37yo) my body is "slowing down" and keep trying to concieve if I should be so lucky.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If your periods are regular then a decrease in the blood flow from 7 days to 2 days is not worrisome. Regular periods are indicative of normal ovulatory cycles. The chances of conception are there. Bulky uterus is a normal finding for a parous uterus.
It is best to try for natural conception for next 4-5 months and then consider getting investigations done in case you do not conceive.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal