What causes light menstrual bleeding causes by stress and anxiety?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My period usually arrives every 26 days and lasts 4-5 days (1 day heavy the rest relatively light). This month it came on the 28th day and was medium than light, it lasted just short of 2 days than a full day of nothing but today I have very very light pink watery discharge. Anything I should look into? I should mention I am a healthy 43 year old. No prior issues.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is normally due to stress.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to HCM,
There is no apparent need to be worried as your menses were only delayed by 2 days. By definition if the menses are between 23-35 days they are considered regular. Moreover as this is just the first episode, it is often seen that stress induced hormonal imbalances during the cycle can change the pattern of bleed sometimes.
If the pattern is repeated next time as well , then you may get an ultrasound pelvis done.