What causes light headedness, blockage in the right ear, and dizziness, and how can it be treated?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I’ve been feeling very light headed and my head has been feeling bad for one month now (on and off.) this whole week has been terrible for me because I am unable to get out of bed without feeling off balance. I went to a neurologist and they told me I have vertigo on my right ear and made me do some excersices but no help. My whole right ear feels blocked and it’s hurting so much but the emergency room doctors told me my ear looks clean. I don’t know why I’m feeling so miserable but I’m tired of feeling like this - please help me.
They also gave me some IV FLUIDS to help with the migraines but I don’t think I’m having migraines. The nerve on my right temple of my head has been hurting non stop for this whole week. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Vertigo.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Thanks for putting up the query!

You are having vertigo. it is probably positional vertigo.

Please tell me:

1. Do you have any feeling of imbalance while turning the head in a particular direction?

2. Any history of imbalance while getting up from lying down position?

3. What medicines have you been taking so far?

Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better and prescribe you accordingly.

Take care,

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal,
ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
No I don’t really have imbalance when I’m turning anywhere. For a few hours I am fine then it all starts again. I’m going to do the MRI today to make sure my head is fine but I don’t know what to do for the vertigo. My right ear still feels blocked. I am having a lot of palpitations.
I did used to get some imbalance when getting up from lying down position but I thought that was normal with everyone. I woke up from sleep feeling really bad today. Very dizzy.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 days later
Brief Answer:

Vertigo.

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Thanks for the information.

1. Take tablet Betahistine thrice daily for a week.
2. Take tablet Levocetrizine plus Phenylepherine twice daily and take steam inhalation.
3. Avoid any alcohol.
4. Avoid sudden getting up from bed rather sit up and move your legs for few minutes before getting up.
5. Avoid driving.

All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.

Get an ECG done to rule out any cardiac cause for palpitations.

Follow up with the MRI report.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care!

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal,
ENT Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad