What causes light brown feces?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Oct 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello I've had light brown stool for around two months now. No insurance so I went to ER after developing mild cramping and discomfort after eating. Was told I had an internal hemmrhoid and Proctitis sp? Went back in after having a spell of watery diarrhea for a few days and was told to come back in a few days if it didn't clear up. Feel alright until I eat then my stomach gets somewhat upset. Any help would be appreciated. 29 male no history of colorectal cancer in family. CBC and blood tests came back normal
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stomach,bowels&cholecyst issues to rule out...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

The normal color for feces is brown. If it has changes to light brown during this month, then, this is indicative for possible cholecyst problems (inflammation, sludge, etc.); changes in the intestinal flora, candida infection (especially after antibiotics use), etc.. I advise to run an abdominal ultrasound examination and liver function test to rule out gallbladder problems.

Next, you are saying that you have been diagnosed with internal hemorrhoids and proctitis? Internal hemorrhoids are indicative for possible constipation problems. Proctitis is inflammation of anus and end-of-rectum. Colonoscopy is necessary to evaluate them further.

You are also reporting a spell of watery diarrhea for a few days, that was cleared up. I am happy for that. But, you are still having tummy issues right after eating foods. At this point, my doubts go for possible:
- cholecyst problems (inflammation, sludge, etc.)
- gastritis/GERD

Upper endoscopy will help determining the final diagnosis. As long as your blood tests and CBC were within normal range, then, should determine about possible gastritis or cholecyst problems.

For the moment, I advise to:
- take probiotics to optimize intestinal flora
- avoid foods that would cause your stomach to get upset: oily, chilly, spicy, caffeinated, alcohol, fried foods, etc.
- eat often and small portions,
- take OTC omeprasole and antacids for stomach upset.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 42 minutes later
I'm kind of in a bad spot on the testing. No health insurance or family dr and a 3-6 week wait on both plus getting married in three days. I've had lighter poop as long as I can remember it darkens up with spinach or blueberries it seems. Don't get nauseas after eating just cramping as if eating too fast? Ate fiber one bars for breakfast and didn't feel any discomfort but eating non spicy salsa and chips with cheese caused gas and discomfort. Also stool smells pretty foul.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Food intolerance;nothing worrisome...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for providing more of your medical data.

They are indicative for food intolerance (i.e. casein of the cheese, etc.). I advise to:
- avoid foods that would cause bloating
- take probiotics
- increase water intake
- avoid eating too fast
- try to cope with stress

By the way, it is normal for the stool to turn darker when you eat spinach or blueberries. Do not worry about that.

Congratulations for your wedding! I wish endless happy years with your partner!

Once you get insurance, try to run the tests as mentioned earlier!
Dr.Klerida

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 44 hours later
Thank you so much. Got kefir and v8 and that's been helping my stomach. Enough to eat pizza. I'll have insurance to get tests soon so hopefully it's nothing serious.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok,let me know about the results then..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am happy that you are getting some relief and going to have the tests soon.

Once you have the reports, can send them to me for a second opinion.

I'm here to help anytime!

Dr.Klerida
If you do not have any more queries for this time, kindly close this discussion. It will be closed automatically otherwise. You can reopen it anytime you might have other queries!