• question-icon

What causes light brown discharge during menstruation while on NuvaRing?

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I started the Nuva Ring about 6 months ago. Each time that I had it out for the week I had a normal heavy flow period. Now in this last month, my period is very light. It is not the bright red that it normally is during a normal period. This is the 6th month of using the ring. I have followed the directions to a T since I have to in order to have a period since I was diagnosed with PCOS. The reason why I am asking for help is because of how this last period was. It hardly felt like a period at all. This whole time off there has only been brown discharge. My stomach is upset. And there was only 2 days of cramps when I usually have them the whole time. What could cause this different reaction?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to Nuva ring

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to healthcare magic.
I have read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Brown vaginal discharge during your menstrual cycle can be due to Nuva ring.
Six months after the use of Nuva ring your body had created a new hotmonal balance .
Hence due to this new hormonal balance and your periods will change and you will have only spotting
But is important that you have a regular cycle.

Hope I have been helpful and please feel free for further discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 15 minutes later
Okay, so even though I have used other forms of Birth Control mainly the patch and I never had this experience how can this cause it now after 6 months?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vary from the dosage of hormones

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again.

If cycle will be abundant or only spotting vary from the dosage of hormones that contain birth control method.
Hence in my opinion there is nothing to worry .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine