What causes ligament laxity?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I am wanting somebody to take a look at something and give there medical opinion on how this would limit somebody. This is results from testing done, so confidentately is need.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please write clinical details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through the reports in detail.
Please write clinical details of the patient so that it can be interpreted in a better way.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes ligament laxity? 2 hours later
What clincial details do you need or what details do you need.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

I wanted to know about the symptoms of patient and neurological findings of neurologist.

However,i try my best to explain the condition.
Patient is suffering form ligament laxity/subluxation in cervical region.It is indicated by abnormal lines evaluated in X-rays like George's line, which indicate status of ligaments.It indicates integrity of posterior longitudinal ligament and vertebral alignment.

Ligament laxity may be due to many reasons like trauma,connective tissue disorders etc.It is also causing translational restriction of cervical spine.
You need proper history taking.

Now patient need proper treatment.Main goal is is to alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.Any permanent neurological disability should also be prevented.

Proper treatment is rest of the region and NSAID's should be prescribed.
Isometric muscle strengthening should be done.
If no neurological deficit is present in patient then patient should use ice packs for 15-20 minutes thrice daily.

Manual therapy techniques also helps in decreasing pain and improve mobility and function.Patient may begin to exercise in a painless manner.These techniques include soft-tissue massage,manually sustained or rhythmically applied muscle stretching,traction applied in the longitudinal axis of the spine and passive joint mobilization.

Transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) and cryotherapy is also helpful for patient.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes ligament laxity? 15 minutes later
Seem like what you are talking about doing had already been done and only work for a little time and didn't work to elevate pain eventually and seem like condition of patient is degenerating like it also say in findings of these two reports.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Attached reports are related to two different region of the spine,one is related to cervical spine while another is related to lumbar spine.There is no follow up sequential report to comment about deterioration.

Main concerning factor in both regions are ligament instability.There is instability in whole lumbar region whereas instability is only at C4/5 level in cervical region.

I have already discussed about treatment modalities. At present patient need rest,analgesics and pain reliving modalities.Spinal strengthening exercise should be started after relieving from pain.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX