What causes lentigens on skin?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Noticed random beauty marks they don't hurt me, I just turned 30 I have been stressed out I don't know if that was the cause of it, I don't know when they came I just notice them because it's summer so I am shaving. They are not crazy colors at all. I am wondering if it's because of the sun, I live in NYC it is crazy hot.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lentigens- flattened version of moles

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the random beauty marks. It is really bothersome for anyone to find anything unusual on skin.

After analyzing the pictures with best clinical acumen let me reassure you that you have these beauty spots which are medically known as "Lentigens". To tell you simply these are flattened version of moles.

To tell you scientifically and medially regarding Lentigens- We have with us the cells known as melanocytes in the skin which gives color to the skin. At some places these are naturally and genetically more in number. At these places these proliferates inside the skin and forms the Lentigens. It may appear any time after birth and is more common in people with white skin.

Generally these are not having any symptom and are seen as cosmetic problem only but some times these can be seen with caution. There are certain specific feature which should be known to you :

1. If you feel any itching or burning or pain in any Lentigens.
2. Any kind irregular borders in your Lentigens.
3. Any variegated (different) colors you observed in your Lentigens.
4. A size of more than 6 mm.

So, above points should always be checked and if find something like that or anything unusual then immediately should report to the doctor.

Overall you should know that Lentigens are simple genetical thing present in everyone but only varying in number and size from person to person.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: What causes lentigens on skin? 52 minutes later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My best wishes for your healthy life.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

I'm glad that you have understood the simplicity of the condition and is not going to cause any problems in your future life.

I hope you must be relaxed now. I will be glad to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia