What causes leg weakness post pneumonia attack?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Dear Doctor, My 85 year old dad used to be able to walk one hour daily, but since two months ago, after he saw my mom was alomst dead in hospital emergency room duo to Pneumonia, his both legs have become extremely weak, he now can't even walk for 5 minutes. He also lost about 8 ponds in two months and no appetite at all even though my mom fully recovered now.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to the shock and trauma to see her in critical situation!!!

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

These are the after effects of the trauma a person gets from seeing a loved one in such a critical situation.

He due to the trauma has lost his appetite and also his behavioural changes have made him not eat much. He needs care and therapeutic session of counselling from a Psychiatrist in-person.

A psychiatrist is a personnel trained to tackle such cases with care. But important is the office visit. He will have to sit with the Psychiatrist for some sessions to get out of this phase of mind.

His mind is still stuck in there in the hospital and and needs counselling session of the Psychiatrist to take him out of this situation.

Don't worry, he will be fine soon. He has some weakness and nutritional deficiency due to poor appetite. Once out of this state of mind, his diet will improve and he will be fine soon and will be able to walk normal.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Write down my name in the start of your question always & I will be with you sooner).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T