What causes leg cramps while sleeping?

Dr. Phanindra Dulipala

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: I am a diabetic its under control i am getting cramps on my legs when i go to sleep why ,
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most probable cause is Diabetic neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

The most common reasons that cause cramps in diabetics is diabetic neuropathy, which occur in long standing diabetes.
This can be treated with Tab.pregabilin 75mg. + methlcobalamin 500 mcg. One tablet daily or Tab. Gabapentin 300mg. One tablet daily.

The other reasons could be Iron deficiency which can be treated with iron tonics.
Lot of fluids also help if the cause is because of dehydration and loss of electrolytes.

You can have evaluation regarding these and follow the above instructions.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.