What causes leg cramps in the morning?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Male 53, leg cramps mostly in the early mornings, arms & legs ,fingers jerk during sleep, also gets virtigo & headaches that are in back & top of head at least 4x a week lasting 2-6 hrs
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
There are different possible causes for the symptoms that you are experiencing. One of the potential causes is hypothyroidism which is a low level of thyroid hormone. This is a hormone that plays an important part in the metabolism of the body.
In addition to hypothyroidism, electrolyte imbalance (levels checked by blood tests) and excess activity can result in muscle spasms.

In addition to the physical causes of your discomfort, it is possible for physical complaints to be worsened by anxiety or stress.

Muscular spasms can be treated by (1) treating the underlying cause (2) keeping yourself well hydrated (3) stretching the muscles involved (4) the use of anti inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam with meals provided there are no contraindications to their use (5) a muscle relaxant may be necessary

It may be best, if possible to visit your doctor for a thorough assessment and treatment plan.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal