What causes leg and lower back pain?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have recently (past week) noticed increase pain in both my legs (the area where your leg connects to your hip). This has gotten increasingly worse each day. In addition, the same pain is in my should area on both sides (where my arms actually connect to my shoulders). I am very concerned because it is difficult for me to get up out of chairs, etc. I am 5' 7" tall, 54 years old and 225 pounds. I know I am over weight and have recently joined a gym and seen a dietician. I have lost 5 pounds already. This pain did start after I started working out, but I took about two weeks off from the gym and then this started. Can you please help me? Otherwise I can in good health. I tried just now walking a very straight line with my arms down by my side and was so wobbly that I faltered. I also tried it with my arms up, it was a little better but still by no means what it should be, I also faltered with that. Thanks!
I am most concerned because I have never had this type of pain before. Even when I get out of my car (SUV) which is high so I don't have to lift myself very far up, I have to hang onto the opened door with both hands, really use all the muscle I have and sometimes my husband needs to help me out. I have not "pulled" any muscles and I have not noticed this pain to have begun after any specific incident. My hips hurt probably 80% of the time I am sitting but the real intense pain occurs in the process of getting up and staying up. Specifically, I feel the most amount of pain once my weight is put on my lower extremities. It feels like my thighs and then down to my knees won't be able to hold me up. I know that I am overweight but have been this same weight for about 3 years due to depression, anxiety, etc. which I am being treated for. I am now at a good place emotionally but now this has started. The pain in my legs is much worse than my arms. I am afraid its bad.One last thing...about a month ago or so, I noticed that when I was walking, I was waddling like a very pregnant woman even before the pain started. Once the pain started, I still continue to walk that way. No matter how I sit, it almost feels like there is pain right in my hip bones then travels once I get up.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Your low back pain could be due to muscle spasm although spondylosis could also be the cause. Hot compress should provide relief. The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not, I would insist you to get a X Ray of Hip and Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Being overweight is also a factor and you need to try to decrease your weight.

Feel free to write back.