question-icon

What causes left tonsil to be bigger than right tonsil?

Posted on Fri, 28 Aug 2015
Question: Hello, i am 25 years old male.
History: last 8 months i noticed that my left tonsil is bigger then right one. I also felt some itching in left ear and sometime some pain in left ear for last few months. Today I got funny feeling when swallowing, so i looked in my throat and saw a smal red lump on left tonsil. I also palpated myself for lymph nodes, and there are no enlarged ones on the neck.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Common to have one tonsil is bigger than other due to chronic PND.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query, seen your picture and understand your concern.

After examining your throat pictures, in my opinion you are having left tonsil bigger than right with post nasal discharge & congestion in throat. It is common to have one tonsil is bigger than other due to chronic post nasal discharge (PND).

If I were your treating Doctor for this case, I would advice
use antiseptic chlorhexidine Mouth Wash twice daily,
Tab paracetamol twice daily for ear pain &
Antihistaminic like Tab Claritin (Loratadine 10mg) at night for PND & itching in ear.

Throat inflammation , congestion & PND will decrease & will get relief.

Hope this information helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist