Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes left testicle to be twisted with pain?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9686 Questions
Hi, Im 33. In shape and physically active. No history of any medical illness. About a week ago, i started noticing a slight ache in my left testicle. Which caused some tingling in my inner thigh. And discomfort while trying to sleep. No swelling, redness or anything. And no pain/blood during ejaculation or urination. My left testicle has always hung in a slight odd/horizontal position. But never caused me any ache/discomfort. But recently, i started having an ache and upon further inspection, I noticed my left testicle was rotated about 180 degrees backwards. With the bottom of the testicle facing slightly inward at about 2 o' clock. I could only sleep on my back, in fear that it would twist even more. Not knowing what to do, I vigorously searched online about causes and treatments for days. I read that you can manually untwist your testicles. So I gathered up some courage and proceeded. I turned it about 180 degrees clockwise and the ache and odd feeling subsided greatly. But not completely. Was still somewhat sensitive. My guess was because it had been twisted backwards for 6 days. My testicle felt and looked like it was back to its "normal" position for the most part. During those 6 days, random erections and "morning wood" were nonexistent.

I went to work today and all throughout the day, I could feel my testicle slowly moving back into the backwards postition it was in the days before, as my scrotum contracted/loosened throughout the day. Causing the same weird feeling as before. When I got home, I inspected and found it was twisted backwards again. Very frustrating. So I did some more reading online and read that masturbating can sometimes move the testicle back into its "normal" postition if something like this is happening. So I rubbed one out and it returned to its "normal" position without any manual untwisting. Before I untwisted it manally, masturbating wouldnt help any. I tried. So my question is, why is my left testicle suddenly acting up? I havent been sexually active and I have no swelling or redness. Coughing or laughing doesnt cause any pain. I feel no abnormalities of the testicle. Nothing the right testicle doesnt have. This is quite aggravating. Id hate to have to go to the ER, have everybody feel me up, only for them to tell me nothing is wrong?
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may have freely XXXXXXX Testicle on left side

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you seem to have Freely XXXXXXX left testicle .

Normally Testis is surrounded by a layers of tissues that keep it fixed up in scrotal sac ,

However these tissues are lax in some individuals making it freely XXXXXXX Considering your age of 33 years there is no danger of it getting twisted which commonly happens in childhood.There is nothing to be worried about ,

However if you are to curious about it consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical examination and get Color Doppler Study of scrotum done .This will help you to know whether there is any impending danger of it getting twisted .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes left testicle to be twisted with pain? 1 hour later
Is there a chance of intermittent torsion or a condition called varicocole? Or something similiar? What is the chance that I have some veins twisted and it is pulling my testicle around? Would I have swelling if that were the case? Like I said, I have no swelling/redness or anything. Just a dull ache and the fact my testicle wants to twist around. It just doesnt make sense for this to suddenly happen out of nowhere. It is really effecting life. Makes every day movements uncomfortable. How long will this last? How soon should I go to the Emergency Room if my symptoms dont go away? Another week? 2?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult qualified General Surgeon or Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up .

Answers to all your doubts can be given only after clinical examination in person and doing Color Doppler study of Scrotum..

If you develop torsion which is unlikely at this age you will experience severe pain in abdomen ,vomiting ,severe pain in scrotum etc.

It is always safe to get examined by Surgeon and have a peace of mind .

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor