What causes left-sided sharp pain and burning sensation around pelvis?

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I have very bad pain on my left side close to pelvic area. It's sharp pain also burning sensation
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mittelschmertz

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to hcm,
If you are in the mid cycle then a sharp pain on one side of lower abdomen, ovarian region is likely to be an ovulation pain indicating that you are ovulating. This shall continue for 1-2 days and may be accompanied with ild vaginal spotting. This pain is known as MITTELSCHMERTZ and its natural.
If the pain is intolerable then you may take an NSAID.
Again if you have menstruation due or nearing then you should get an ultrasound pelvis soon to look for any organic cause or adnexal mass which can be causing the stretch pain.
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 5 minutes later
I went through menopause 7 years ago. I have very sharp pain and also my back hurts too
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answered

Detailed Answer:
In that case , there is a likely possibility of an ovarian mass or cyst which may undergo torsion giving rise to a sharp unbearable pain, that becomes an emergency.
However it is always better to rule any adnexal mass or torsion by ultrasound and doppler first before contemplating other differential diagnosis for gastrointestinal causes as intestinal cramps, or subacute obstruction of intestine.
If the pain is persistent and not subsided by NSAID in next 6 hrs then you need to visit your ER for an urgent USG evaluation.