• question-icon

What causes left-sided pain in the neck radiating to the shoulder and arm?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Very severe burning pain from about 6 in below neck on left side, going down shoulder & arm, also on left side.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sensory nerves involvement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Symptoms you describe indicate an involvement of sensory part of your nerves that arise from your cervical spine.

Compression of nerves by degenerative spine disease, deficiency of vitamin B12 may be possible conditions that may cause such symptoms.

Besides antineuralgic drugs that you are using, taking supplements of vitamin B12 may help in improving your condition.

If there is no improvement after one week of vitamin B12 use, imaging of your cervical spine (x-rays and MRI) are necessary to understand better your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical