• question-icon

What causes left-sided numbness in the hand and arm?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a 3 week history of left numbness in my hand and arm. It involves the index finger and thumb mainly. It is intermittent. I have no pain. I am an eye surgeon (ophthalmologist) so I am concerned. I am 65 yo. It sounds like carpal tunnel but sometimes involves my forearm. I will see an orthopedic hand surgeon in 2 weeks. W
hat do you think. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Start with methylcobalamin supplements.

Detailed Answer:
The numbness can be due to carpal tunnel or cervical spondylosis. A mild nerve root compression is possible. it is best to start taking methylcobalamin supplements and isometric neck exercises to help with the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon