question-icon

What causes left-sided lower abdominal pain?

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015
Question: I have lower abdominal pain on the left side.Onset within last 24 hours.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Diverticulitis can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Do you suffer from constipation? DO you have any frequent urinating, burning while urinating?

Lower left abdominal pain can be caused by diverticulitis. This condition is caused by chronic constipation. Due to increased pressure in the colon, some kind of pouches appear in the wall. This pouches are thin and can in some cases lead to perforation. When a piece of stool stuck inside such pouch inflammation appears. This gives lower left abdominal pain along with some bloating. Blood can appear in the stool.
Other possible reasons of such pain is urinary tract infection, inguinal hernia, ovaries inflammation.

I suggest you to consult your doctor and have some tests done. Please start with abdominal ultrasound, blood work and urine test. If no changes in this tests, consult gynecologist and as the last step consider colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (16 minutes later)
I am a 65 year old male. I none of the following: constipation, frequent urination, or burning while urinating. Lower left abdomen is painful to pressure.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Diverticulitis is still possible.

Detailed Answer:
Still diverticulitis seems the most probable reason. Please follow as instructed above.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon