• question-icon

What causes left-sided headache along with dull eyesight in the left eye?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have a continuous headache on the left side of my head. my vision in the left eye is 2 shades darker than in my right eye. if I close my eye and touch the eyelid the left eyeball hurts. I have learned to live with this headache but sometimes if goes from the constant 1-3 to 5 or greater--when it gets bad the shading in the left eye gets worse and there seems to be a pain in the mid left occipital area-mri, mra, cta, optic ct thin slice all neg--no macular degeneration , retinal detachment, papilledema or trauma. arcotics, fiorinal, zomig, Topamax, nsaids, muscle relaxers, benzoes, gabapentin have all been tried without success. I am so tired of this constant, never ending headache
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need not worry about your eyes. They could still be contributory.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is apparent that the cellular composition of the retina (the ration of rods and cones, and their concentration) is different in the two eyes of yours. Since the ominous stuff like macular degeneration, retinal detachment, papilledema etc. have been ruled out there is less to worry about. Nevertheless, this is possibly enough to strain your eyes and that could lead to a headache like the one you are describing.

I understand that you have already tried all possible treatments. I would recommend you to try acupuncture. Studies have proven the benefits of acupunture in migraine and chances are that you too could benefit from it. Give it a try.

I will also insist you to try relaxation techniques.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha