question-icon

What causes left-sided chest pain while coughing?

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018
Question: I have a sharp pain on my left side especially when I cough
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Probably just pulled intercostal muscle.

Detailed Answer:

Hi and welcome.

Well, if you are talking about pain in chest then it is probably just pulled intercostal muscle or pinched nerve and it should be treated with rest, nonsteroid painkillers.

If this is felt in deep chest and left arm then you need to see cardiologist for further evaluation. Otherwise it may be beginning of pneumonia or pleurodynia and pulmologist evaluation is required.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (4 hours later)
no chest pain but lot of pain difficulty sittin and then standing. would heat help
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Yes, then this is probably neuromuscular pain..YOu can apply heat pads and take nonsteroid painkillers and it should pass.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon