• question-icon

What causes left sided chest pain while breathing?

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: had this chest pain on left side through my breast for awhile now. worse when laying. sometimes wakes me up. I've had ekg, heart bloodwork., all was fine. just went to my Dr. and had X-ray and now more bloodwork. do you think this is pericarditis? my doctor thinks no, but when I Google it it seems similar. it does not hurt all the time. I notice most when sitting or layin...breathing in & out. I do get out of breath going up flight of steps but I thought I was deconditioned. I am not really particularly put of breath. no fever.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

My opinion is that your symptoms aren't typical for cardiac issues. However you should do a complete cardiac work to exclude them definitely.

Your problems may be related to gastrointestinal issues (GERD, acid reflux, gallbladder ect.), pulmonary issues or musculo skeletal problems.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do:
- Cardiac echo (a normal echo will definitely exclude pericarditis)
- Stress test
- abdominal ultrasoud
- upper endoscopy
This examinations will help to find out exactly what is causing your symptoms.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Thank you. I'm calling today for an echo
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You are most welcome.
If you are satisfied with my answer please close this query and rate it to maximum.
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist