What causes left-sided chest pain, tingling hands, fatigue and dark stool?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a mild left side chest pain just last ten minutes, now gone. A loss of energy and a tinge of feignest (not sure if spelling is correct) for the past few days I have been sleeping like a log. And, as a person who cannot fall asleep easily who has been prescribed Trazadone for that for years. Also, I have had dark stools this week.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed Answer as follows

Detailed Answer:

As you mentioned that you have tingling in fingers since few days, then it suggest the possibility of Spondylosis. It can also cause chest pain.

There are three possibilities, one is cardiac pain and other is due to spondylosis or acid reflux.

Along with pain, did you have any sweating, palpitations, any history of heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, family history of heart disease. These are pointers towards the heart disease. Anyway, I would suggest to get at least one EKG done, just to rule out minor cardiac issues.

Since you mentioned about a black stool, that suggests you are having bleeding in the stomach due to excessive acid formation. So this chest pain could be due to a acidity and reflux disease.

Do you have any upper abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, burping, increase in pain on food, sour water feeling in throat or chest burning ? If yes, it further supports the diagnosis.

You should avoid fatty, oily and high calorie diet. Have some walk after having food instead of taking rest. Have multiple small meals instead of heavy meals. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress. Lots of green leafy vegetables, fruits. Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any. You can get prescribed tab Pantoprazole 40 mg before breakfast once a day for 2 weeks. Get stool for occult blood testing done followed by upper GI endoscopy .

Thirdly, it can be cervical spondylosis pain, due to compression of nerves between spine.

Does this pain increases on neck movement ? Is it associated with numbness in arm or any neck trauma ? If yes, then it further supports the diagnosis. You'll need an X-ray cervical spine AP/ Lat view and further may need MRI scan if X- ray is not informative. Till the time, you can apply Diclofenac gel or spray for pain.

Please get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee