What causes left-sided chest pain, excessive sweating and itching throughout the body?

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Our 18 year old son just texted us and said the following - left side of chest has been 'hurting,' and experiencing itchy, sweaty all over body and most often when entering a building from the outside and the temperature changes. Tingling feeling up legs, short lived. He is an athlete and in good physical shape. He's away at school and looking for advise. Does this sound like anything immediately identifiable?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
To rule out cardiac disease, high blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Based on his symptoms I would like to urgently rule out cardiac(heart) disease, high blood pressure.

Would you clarify a few things for me, please?
*how long has he been having these symptoms?
*how long has he been on Vyvanse and for what reason?
*what kind of physical activities does he engage in? Any recent stress or illness?
*do you or anyone in his family have any history of heart disease?

Any sort of chest pain or discomfort is an otherwise healthy person must be immediately checked out to check for cardiovascular compromise, especially with stimulants like Vyvanse.

Heat is another stimulant and can exacerbate the problem.
I recommend :
-a physician consult right away, a cardiologist opinion if needed.
-an electrocardiogram and echocardiogram
-a stress test to check for inducible heart problems
-blood tests (complete blood count, cardiac enzymes, kidney and liver function tests, lipid profile, Thyroid stimulating hormone Level, free t3 and t4 )
-chest x-ray if required.

Based in this, the exact cause can be diagnosed and treated.
It may seem benign in an athlete but it is not normal and with him taking Vyvanse the problem needs to be checked out right away for heart muscle and rhythm abnormalities

If he develops severe chest pain or breathing difficulty, or feels giddy with tingling or numbness on the body, he should visit the ER. Please ask him to avoid extreme temperatures and physical exertion.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you both good health.
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana