What causes left-sided abdominal pain?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Jan 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello doc, we are ttc...i ovulated on 28/11/2014. And having very slight cramps since i ovulated..the cramp is,mostly in left pelvic region..today i am 12 days post ovulation and had sharp twinging pain in left abdomen both upper and lower..and feeling gassy..and a bit nauseated...i am on clomid girat cycle and taking duphaston and myotolf...i want to ask what is the reason of pain in upper abdomen n lower abdomen only in left side mostly...also whether it is just the side effect of medicine i am taking...

I still dint get my answer...please reply soon..i also had left leg pain yesterday but today its not there...what could be the reason
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DONT WORRY, ITS NON SPECIFIC.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The pain can be due to a lot of reasons.
It could be that you conceived in this cycle, and early pregnancy is sometimes characterized by vague aches and cramps.
It could be that you failed to conceive, and these are pre menstrual symptoms.
Also, as two follicles ruptured, free fluid could have accumulated in the pelvis, leading to pain.
Were the two follicles from the left ovary ?
Medications itself can lead to some amount of discomfort.
If the pain is not very significant or persistent, please ignore it.
You should be taking a pregnancy test after 4 - 5 days, which will clarify matters.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Yes both follicles were in left ovary...can the medicine which i am taking mimic false pregnancy symptoms like nausea n aches???

I am having continuos dull ache in left ovary side is ur serious???

There is no,prompt responce from the doctors then what is the use of fee that i paid

Can it be an ectopic kind of pregnancy??? I am little worried should i go for sonograhy?? Or should meet my gyn??
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
RELAX, BUT IF PAIN IS SEVERE, SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Detailed Answer:
Here are your answers.
Please relax.
If you feel that there is no promptness or help from the doctors, you can go for a full refund for this question.
Panicking will not help you , or lead to a positive outcome in any way.
The question (primary ) is supposed to be answered within an hour, and the follow ups within 24 hours.
However, I am doing it within 2 hours, and while I understand your anxiety and worry, there is no reason to berate and talk negative about the doctors on this forum, who are busy, dedicated professionals and do their best to help patients online.
I hope you realize that.
The medications cannot mimic a false pregnancy.
Continuous dull ache is not serious, or an indicator of ectopic pregnancy, unless you have spotting, fainting , tenderness etc.
If you are so worried, yes you should meet your doctor.
Sonography would show nothing so early, a blood B HCG test might be more useful.
I think you should relax, as minor aches are common, and can be due to the reasons listed by me.
If the pain is quite unrelenting and severe / persistent, and you are feeling uneasy / dizzy, yes you should see your doctor right away.
Hope you understand that as far as online consultation goes, I am doing my best to reassure and inform you.
God bless.