What causes left-sided abdominal pain and vomiting after eating food?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What could cause left side pain with vomiting after eating?

I probably should have said that I am never ill, and this only started yesterday
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be gastritis or acid peptic disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Health Care Magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through lately. Based on the history you have shared, left sided pain in the lower chest or upper abdomen with vomiting can be due to gastric reasons including inflammation of gastric mucosa or acid peptic disease.

However for every left sided pain, an EKG should be done to rule out cardiac causes though association with food intake makes it less likely.

Using antacids/PPIs like Omeperazole or Pantoprazole 40 mg Once Daily before breakfast for symptomatic relief along with motility agent like Domperidone will help with pain and vomiting both. Also avoid greasy, oily, high protein diets and fizzy drinks for few days.

If symptoms recurred then getting a detailed evaluation by an ultrasound abdomen and consulting a Gastroenterologist may be needed.

Hope things won't go to that verge. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee