What causes left shoulder pain when lying down?
Multiple possibilities might be considered and requires clinical testsr
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Should the pain or discomfort appear when lying on your left shoulder then a possibility of muscle spasm and associated discomfort might be thought of.
2. The structures on left side from the level of ribs till lower back includes the left diaphragm, stomach, spleen, left kidney and descending colon.
3. Pain in the area is rarely due to a kidney cancer and there are many other benign cause which might cause pain.
4. Some of the common reasons for pain include stones in left kidney, mild enlargement of spleen, irritation or displacement of diaphragm, pneumonia involving left lung lower lobe, mild left pleural effusion, pancreatitis, gastritis and bowel related causes.
5. It is suggested that you get clinically examined in detail and get a chest X ray and ultrasound scan abdomen if indicated. Treatment is after confirmation of diagnosis.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes shoulder pain during pregnancy
- Cause of bulching ans left shoulder pain
- What causes severe shoulder pain and stiffness in muscles
- Inidestion and left shoulder pain causes
- What causes shoulder pain when suffering from anxiety
- What is the cause of stomach pain and shoulder pain
- What causes tailbone pain and shoulder pain
- What is the cause and treatment for shoulder pain
- What causes shoulder pain after egg retrieval
- Shoulder pain while lying down