What causes left lower quadrant pain, gases, loud noises, and pain under sternum?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have LLQ pain, gassy. I have banking Simethicone 250mgs day for 2 weeks, , little relief. Did a Fleets tonight with tons of gas, small mot of diarrhea. Now pain is under my sternum, loud noises, continued gas and distention. I have a hx of diverticulitis, no surgeriy.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Needs Investigations and proper management as per the findings.

Detailed Answer:

Hi.

Thanks for your query. Noted the history and understood the concerns.

Your symptoms are suggestive of the following:
Since you are a known patient of diverticulitis the pain in the LLQ might have been due to the same and/or added fecolith impaction causing further problems of gases, loud noises, pain under sternum and so on. This is indicative of colitis.

Simethicone may not really help much in such cases. You have already taken fleet enema.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:

1. X-ray of abdomen in standing position to see for any fecoliths, gases, obstruction or so.
2. Tests of stool and blood.
3. Ultrasonography and CT scan of the abdomen if needed.
4. Clinical evaluation by your Doctor, preferably a Gastroenterologist.

The additional proper management will depend upon the findings to get a specific cause and specific treatment to avoid further complications.

I hope this answer helps you in proper diagnosis and management.

Please feel free to give feedback and ask further relevant queries.

Take care,
Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
What’s the “typical” POC w/ colitis. I ask because I have started a clean eating plan and today I plan to have fruit, yogurt, eggs, salad. Also, I have been adding flaxseed to my salads. Could this be a contributing factor to distinction, gas? I’m just thinking about the seeds pocketing. My GI appt isn’t until 2/21. Today it’s a little more painful.
Ty
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in below.

Detailed Answer:

PoC is proof of concept study. With colitis mean for patients with colitis.

This is going on at the moment and is showing some results. Since you have diverticulitis you may need a specific treatment.

Changed foods can instigate or enhance the symptoms. All the things including flax-seeds can be contributory.

So better to revert back to the diet that suits you the most till you get diagnosed and treated well.

Please get investigated asap.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. T Chandrakant, General Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad