What causes large protrusion on right collarbone?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, i have a sudden large protrusion of my right collarbone, looks like a lump but its the clavicle sticking out very far and very red. When i slide my fingers over it i feel a little of inflammation under the skin. Its been this way for about 6 days now. I didn't injure myself, it just appeared the next day after doing a few pushups but by any means i didn't pull anything, should i be concerned
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be lymphnode enlargement

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. It is quitw unusual to have clavicle enlargement without any trauma. I do not think it is bone. Most probably this is soft tissue swelling like lymphnode. But I have following questions before I can give any further advise.
1. can you send me image of this swelling?
2.Is it softor hard ?
3. Is it movable or not?
please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you. thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 22 hours later
Hi

I uploaded a picture of my lump on right clavicle. When i try to feel both bones with fingers they feel the same. I can grab the skin from my right clavicle and feels squishy so i don't know if its inflammation or the actual bone, it looks smaller in the morning and grows throughout the day. There is some pain throughout day!!! Please advise, thanks so much!!!
I forgot to mention when i pull my shoulders back the bone protrusion disappears.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to get ultrasound of neck

Detailed Answer:
I can not see any image. If you want to confirm the diagnosis then you need to take ultrasound examination.This will confirm the diagnosis. If there is any collection then doctor can aspirate it with needle and send it to testing. It is called FNAC. After this we can confirm if it is lymph node or any abcess. According to that further management can be planned.
thanks