What causes large painful lump on labia?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have a lump on one of my labia. It isn't red or yellow but it's large, about dime size) and hurts when I walk or sit. Do I need to see my physician?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you must see the Gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Since how long you have this swelling? Does it itch? Did you first notice it in the lower part or upper part of labia? Since you did not write about, itching, discharge, it is not infection or abscess.

It could be one of the following:

1. Bartholin cyst /labial cyst--It occurs due to blocking of duct of the gland. It is first seen in the lower part of labia. As the secretions increase it can increase in size.
2. Lipoma- a small mass consisting of fat cells

3. Vericosities in the labia-In this case you would also have vericosities in the leg /thigh too.

4. Inguinal hernia- Rare but it can happen. It is a protrusion of peritoneal sac. It occurs due to weakness of abdominal muscles. It is first seen in the medial side of groin. It gradually extends into labia. It may sometimes contain loops of intestine. It increases in size with prolonged standing.
5. Very rarely it could be a mesenchymal tumour ( connective tissue tumour) or smooth muscle tumour.

To confirm what it is you must fix appointment with Gynecologist and visit her. In my opinion from what you have written, it appears to be a cyst.

I hope I have answered your concerns. If you have any further queries, do write to us. I will be happy to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 days later
Thank you for your response. The next day I went to my family practice. It was determined that it was a cyst and I was put on antibiotics to take care of the infections. We are waiting to see whether I need to have it cut out.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcare Magic.

Detailed Answer:
You are always welcome.

If it is causing discomfort it needs to be removed.
Have a nice day.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Ramadevi Wani


Practicing since :1985

Answered : 1312 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Smooth muscle

doctor1 MD

what are the repucusions and effecs of a prostate biopsy ?

doctor1 MD

Hi , I'm 85 yrs old in good health . For the past 3 months I've been taking tamsulosin hcl.4 mg. for enlarged prostate ' which had me going 3/ 4...

doctor1 MD

I'm taking cystone , urimax 0.4 and ston 1B6 medication for kidney stones. I have tried masturbation twice but no sperm ? Please help.

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

197 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction