What causes large bump on right elbow?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a big bump on the right elbow that has developed last few days, about a cubic inch it hangs down from the arm at the elbow. It does not hurt but seems to be warm to the touch
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to infection or inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Bump which is increasing in size has every reason to investigate it and if needed can be removed. There a few possibilities as to what a lump in the elbow can mean. These are
1. Ganglion Cyst: This is because muscle tissues in the area of the joints can become inflamed through strains, sprains or repeatedly being injured.
2. Synovial Cyst: is again a fluid-filled sack
3. Lipoma
4. Swollen Lymph Node: This can be due to infections like bacterial or viral.
5. Bursitis or Epicondylitis: This is also a infectious tissue.
To get rid from this problem you may need a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Usually these types of bumps get recovered by medications. But it is always advisable to consult your doctor and get clinically examined. Nothing can be commented without clinical examination of the bump. So feel free to consult your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 hours later
Your reply helped. Went to clinic today and one syringe full of fluid was removed from a diagnosed bursitis. There was some blood in the fluid. i have a compression bandage on the elbow now. On checking the elbow some 8 hours after fluid removal I still see swelling, or some more fluid there.

How long does this kind of injury take to calm down? If fluid builds up again are there treatment options in addition to draining the fluid?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Local steroid injections will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the fluid builds up too fast then repeat drainage will be needed. Local steroid injections can help in reducing the inflammation and swelling. Surgical removal of the inflamed bursa is the last option if everything else fails.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.