What causes large blood clots in urine when diagnosed with pancreatic cysts?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: My father has one kidney, (other kidney removed 10 years ago because cancer was found in that kidney) he is on hemodialysis 3 times a week, he had a tumor (described to me as the superficial surface type bladder cancer) removed back in May. The tumor came back and he had it removed October 2nd at which time his urologist found a 2nd tumor (which was also removed) but was described to me as the more dangerous type cancer that is known to come back and is a "killer cancer" (I am sorry I do not know the cancer names) His urologist was very concerned about the type of cancer that was in the 2nd tumor. I take care of my parents at night (ages 88 & 86). Two nights ago, Dad's urine was bloody and he was in pain and passing very large blood clots, (beginning about 10 pm - 2 am, he had passed 4 large & thick (bigger than a quarter) clots, one of them looked like it contained either tissue or very thick white mucus) he is back in the hospital diagnosed with a UTI and a cyst on his pancreas. My research online regarding the cyst on the pancreas is this growth is not really a "cyst" - His urologist is going to look deeper into this tomorrow morning. My question: Is a cyst on the pancreas typically cancer? and if his urination has basically ceased altogether for a couple of months - which was expected, then why would he start urinating again and the output be blood? I would like to have a better understanding of what is going on without bothering the urologist with all the questions, I understand you can only speculate since he is not your patient - but any information you can give me would be helpful. Thank you. And God bless you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Blood in urine is likely due to cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the detailed query and i understand your concern. In my opinion , large blood clots in urine are likely due to cancer only and uti is a superimposed problem on it. This needs to be addressed aggressively . Cyst can be there is pancreas which can be benign but this is not the age to develop a cyst. If it was present in previous scans too, then nothing to worry. However if it is a new development, then it may also be a cancer and not cyst.
Hope i made you understand well.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D