What causes large blood clots during periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I was just wondering what it means when you have large blood clots during your period I have just had a papsmere and it came back clear can u please help me thankyou
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
VARIOUS REASONS EXIST, NEEDS GYNEC WORKUP.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.

Since when are you having this issue of heavy periods?
As such, some women have habitual heavy periods , when this is a normal variant of menstrual cycles, and you should not worry.

If it is an unusual event, then you need further investigations to know the cause. Common conditions include - polycystic ovaries, endometrial hyperplasia, fibroids, cysts, hypothyroidism etc.
A formal internal gynecologic exam - per vaginum and per speculum should be done, also a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally. Hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone - should be measured.

Sometimes, conditions like stress, anxiety, weight changes, travelling, smoking , drinking, certain medications, exercise - all these can also cause heavy cycles.

All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.