What causes lack of vaginal bleeding despite taking Misoprostol and Mifepristone?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am in 4th week of pregnancy by mistake. I took 1 mifepristone 200mg and after 36 hours took 4 mispristole 200mcg each oraaly now after 24 hours nothing happen
Nothing has happened at all and i am worried i dont want to be pregnant please help
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat the dose of misoprostol under guidance of a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Bleeding should occurs by 4-8 hours after taking the last misoprostol tablet.
If there is no bleeding after 24 hours, the kit might have failed to cause the abortion.
In such scenario, usually the misoprostol tablets are repeated after 24 hours, under the guidance of a doctor.
If even after repeating the dose, no bleeding is there, then you should consult an OBGYN specialist for ultrasound and surgical termination of pregnancy, if needed.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 4 minutes later
So its been 24 hours now that i took misprostol and i took 4 at a time and swalowed it. So should i eat the misprotol again and how should be the dosage can you tell me?? Is mifepristone required again??
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mifepristone is not to be repeated

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
The dose of misoprostol is 4 tablets of 200 mcg each should be repeated, either orally or vaginally.
Mifepristone is not to be repeated.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 5 minutes later
So should i take all four at a time or 2 at a time and then after aometime 2
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
All 4 should be taken together

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
all 4 should be taken together.
Dr Deepti Verma