What causes lack of energy and uneasiness while standing up?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: while lying down I feel good but when I try to get up I have no energy or strength. When I do get up I feel stiff and sore. When I walk I hobble along like a old man. When I go for a walk I'm tired after a block or two. I have chronic atrial fibrillation and take medication for it.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Require to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your symptoms are suggestive of decreased blood flow to certain parts of the brain .This can occur due to decreased pumping action of the heart and cardiac out put or from a thromboembolism from the heart. This may occur in atrial fibrillation.
It would be good if you can see get an echocardiogram which will estimate the cardiac out put and also detect any thrombus in the atrium.
If the echocardiogram is normal, a CT/MRI of the brain would be required to detect any cause for the unsteady gait.
Do get back to me if you have further questions.